Friday, July 31, 2009

No longer a "foreigner"

Ever since the age of sixteen when I moved with my parents from Ontario, Canada, to the grand state of Indiana, I've been comfortable as a foreigner in various places. After graduating high school I attended Calvin College in Michigan, studying French and Criminal Justice. My grand ideas of entering the field of criminology were laid to rest after a brief internship in the court system, and I decided to further develop my skills in French. I moved to a small town in Southeast France for a year and taught English to elementary school kids. It was during this time that I realized how much I enjoyed teaching.
It wasn't until a year after I returned to the US that I continued my studies, moving to Portland, OR, to pursue my Masters in French. My decision to move out west was inspired by several factors (the mountains, great cycling, proximity to the ocean, oh and the French program at PSU!), and I was ultimately rewarded with great friendships, a refined taste for both coffee and micro-brews, as most importantly - a lasting love that has lead me to where I am today (more on this story in another post).
Since moving to Denver at the beginning of the year, I found a job at a country club frequented by the likes of John Elway, John Lynch and several of Denver's most wealthy individuals. At the age of 26 I finally worked my first food-service job - I’ve heard everyone should have this experience at least once in their lives! At any rate, I am happy now to begin my teaching career this fall as a 4th grade French Immersion teacher at an international school in Colorado Springs. I'm sure to have my hands full, although everyone keeps telling me this is the best grade level to teach... I hope they're right :)
Well, this was a very, very brief synopsis of my life thus far. I know I didn't get much into my upbringing on the farm in Ontario - I think we all knew I wasn't headed for a career in agriculture anyway! Nonetheless, I am grateful for the opportunities I have had as a child, adolescent and dare I say... now as an adult? And while I still cling strongly to my heritage as a Canuck, I can no longer be labeled as a "foreigner" in this land - I became a citizen of the US last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment